There's nothing better than cruising down the open road in a BMW that you are proud to show off. Here are a couple tips to help make this summer's road trip the best one yet:
- Visit the mechanic. Before you hit the road for the first time this summer, book your BMW for a full service check-up. This should include a full tune-up under the hood and top-off of coolants and fluids. An inspection of the underside of the vehicle is also important to make sure everything is in tip-top shape.
- Pack an emergency kit. Hopefully you won't run into any unexpected troubles, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. First aid kits, rechargeable flashlights, flares and jumper cables are always great to have in case of emergency, as are contact numbers for your insurance agency and your roadside service provider. Also, don't forget snacks and sunglasses - those are always a must!
- Map out your path. Knowing where you're heading will make sure that you're not stranded on the side of a highway with an empty tank. With the help of apps like the Shell Motorist app, you can use your smart phone to find the nearest Shell service station - ensuring you can always fuel up with the high quality premium gasoline that your top-of-the-line vehicle deserves.
- Choose the best fuel. Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline provides the best total engine protection you can get with unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion and superior protection against wear. For those long road trips, it's particularly important to protect against gunk, as the built-up carbon deposits on intake valves and fuel injectors may cause your engine to work less efficiently.
- Improve your fuel economy. To make the most of that premium fuel, there are a number of actions you can take including avoiding aggressive driving (speeding, quick accelerations and hard stops) and opening the windows rather than cranking the air conditioning. Did you know that aggressive driving can increase fuel consumption by up to 25 per cent*, and air conditioning can increase fuel consumption by up to 20 per cent*? You can also improve your gas mileage by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure.
* Natural Resources Canada Office of Energy Efficiency Auto$mart Thinking program.